The holy Mother Anasuya Devi popularly called as “AMMA” Jillellamudi was born on 28th March 1923 at Mannava, a small village in Guntur District of Andhra Pradesh, to a pious couple late Seethapathi Rao, the Village Officer of Mannava and his wife Rangamma. Seethapathi and Rangamma lived in perfect harmony and devotion but what had weighed heavily in their hearts was the loss of as many as five children. A few months before Rangamma was again pregnant, Seethapathi had a dream in which he saw a middle-aged woman of great beauty seated in a chair in the middle of his house. Her most distinctive feature is the vermilion mark on her fore head which is larger and placed lower than is customary.

“Who are you?” he asked her in his dream.

“I am the mother”. She replied.

“Whose mother? he again asked her.

“I am the Mother of All”. She replied.

Days and months passed and Rangamma conceived a child. From the time of conception, Rangamma experienced unspeakable joy and exaltation. She experienced strange visions and moments of unparalleled bliss. The most significant of all was the feeling that She carried the entire creation in her womb. Occasionally, she felt momentary identification with the Infinite.

The child was born amidst miraculous experiences that every one present there had. Strangely enough, the exact moment of her birth coincided with a ceremonial function at the village temple. Flags were hoisted and bells, conches and other musical instruments were being sounded.

The child was named on the twenty-seventh day as Anasuya (one without envy). Amma exhibited the state of Perfection right from the birth. As a child barely four years old, she became stiff with suspended breath and stayed in that condition for as long as four days. And all this happened without any apparent crisis in the child’s health.

(Much later, in her married life, the most mysterious and lengthy of Amma’s trances, apparently premeditated happened. Amma called Dr Seethachalam of Kommur village to Jillellamudi and told him that she was about to embark on an eleven days journey of sorts. During the interim, he was to look after the body. Thus charged, the doctor watched Amma lie down on her cot and lose consciousness. When he examined her, he found that her breath and heartbeat had ceased. Gradually Amma’s joints stiffened and her complexion took on a blue-gray pallor. When Amma’s husband and other relatives wanted to cremate the body, Dr. Seethachalam was placed in the rather curious position for one in his profession of insisting that, though clinically dead, the body would come back to life. The physician’s faith was vindicated on the eleventh day of his vigil, when Amma  awakened slowly and heavily, as if from a prolonged sleep. This is probably the longest Near-Death experience on record).

error: Content is protected !!